Friday, December 11, 2020

Farewell Dame Barbara

The news that Dame Barbara Windsor has died has really touched me. She was neither relative nor friend, I was just a fan. Unusually, I did actually meet her once. I was called in at the last moment to substitute for a shiva service in North London, for somebody I'd never met. After the service there was a small reception, and although everyone there now knew who I was, I didn't know a soul. And then I recognised her over by the sandwiches. Channelling my late father (who would sail right up to just anyone and introduce himself), I decided to go and say hello. I have always been a fan of the Carry On films (I liked her best in Carry on Spying, her first one I think), but my opening line, in the worst geeky fangirl way, was something like, "My mother would never forgive me if I didn't come and say hello, she is such an Eastenders fan!" Dame Barbara accepted this graciously and we ended up having a really interesting conversation about Hattie Jacques, a comedienne & former colleague from the Carry Ons. It was only a brief chat, but having presented myself in such an awkward way, we were able to have a very normal conversation. Because of this she became real to me, and not just a national treasure I knew from the telly. So I am really sad to hear of her death. She was suffering severely from Alzheimer's, so I'm glad she will suffer no more. My heart is with her family and friends at this time.

BBC report



 

No comments:

Post a Comment