Sunday, March 14, 2021

UK Mothers Day 2021


Mothers Day can be tough for many reasons. A friend of mine lost her mother this week, and even before the shiva service she has to face the first of these days as an orphan. One may have, or have had a troubled relationship with one's mother. It's clearly not all breakfast in bed and flowers and chocolates.

This is the second of these days that I have not been able to celebrate my mother. As you may know, she loved Chinese food, and Mothering Sunday was a day when I would take her to lunch in a restaurant of her choice. We are currently under full lockdown again, so I can't even get some rubbish Chinese food here (we haven't yet discovered the best place in town, but we have been trying!) to eat on her behalf. So I am remembering past meals, under the watchful eye of the Dragon Lady of Old Brompton Road, after parking illegally somewhere off Baker Street, at the Red Sun near WLS, takeout from the Stick and Bowl on Ken High Street ... many good memories of quality time spent together.

As for the photo I've posted of a purple Kent House, if you look closely there is a light on in the flat on the second floor. That was where my mother spent so many evenings, watching her favourite tv shows, having a snack or a meal. I can be sad that today I'm not making her eat all the prawn crackers so I won't be tempted, or that light can remind me of the positive memories I have, and thus she will continue to shine on my life. 

Hoping that this day can bring us all something positive.


No comments:

Post a Comment