Saturday, May 21, 2022

Farewell Roger Angell


You may not be a baseball fan, but if you are a fan of a team in any sport, and/or enjoy writing that is more than just a simple description of who won and how, then Roger Angell was and is someone to read. 

The BBC report of Angell's death quotes from a 1982 interview in which he said:
"I think the real fans are the fans of terrible teams, because they know what good baseball is and they know how far their own players fall short ... The rallying cry that has always struck me as so poignant and beautiful is, 'Come on, you bum!' which means, 'We know you're no good but we want to win.'"

My one true love is, of course, QPR. But I have followed my Yankees for many decades, and have in inkling (enough to translate, for example, 'you bum' into 'you w@nker'). I have greatly enjoyed Angell's work, and wish him eternal peace.

An overview from Wikipedia
A kind of obit over on ESPN
In Memoriam from the New Yorker


No comments:

Post a Comment