Saturday, November 19, 2022

I Do Love A Nice Dill Pickle


It had sounded interesting when it was released but, since it never made it to Modena, I soon forgot about this film. Then L & I were looking for something to watch together one Shabbat afternoon, and up it popped!

L had loved "The Frisco Kid", so I thought we should try "An American Pickle"! (no spoilers!) An Orthodox Jew who emigrates to New York in the early 20th century accidentally falls into a pickle barrel and is preserved for 100 years. Upon awakening, he has to deal with the modern world.

What can I say? This movie is clearly a child of Woody Allen, in the days when it was ok to love his work because nobody knew. I can't tell you how many times I watched "Sleeper", in which a different type of stereotypical Jew is frozen for 200 years and wakes up to deal with the future. However, it has its own identity, and I laughed, I cried, and I loved it. Bravo Seth Rogen!

No comments:

Post a Comment