Tuesday, May 25, 2021

When AHF met Eleanor R


Reading some old documents yesterday, I came across an exchange between my late father and his Aunt J (whence came my own J). They wrote mostly in German, 20 years after 11-year-old Albert had escaped from Germany. The following snippet was news to me:

"Nothing new here. Eleanor Roosevelt gave a speech here last night; and I had the honour of sitting next to her for half an hour and talking to her. As a 17-year-old student in Chicago, I had the same honour! Funny, isn't it? But the woman herself is really wonderful and fabulous. She gave a long speech about Israel, praised it very much, and urged the Jews of the city to buy Israel Bonds. The newspaper had a picture of the head table, with about 12 people (including me) and Mrs Roosevelt. I sent it to Mutti. I was only there to give the closing prayer after the meeting, but I took the opportunity to talk to Mrs Roosevelt."

According to the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader archive, Mrs Roosevelt was speaking at an Israel Bonds Chanukah dinner at the JCC (4th December 1958). I couldn't find the picture though. And according to her printed journal (the blog of her era), that visit was most memorable for the inconvenience of the weather:

I know she travelled extensively and met loads of people. I still think it's cool that one of them was my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment