Monday, July 08, 2019

Remembering Rabbi A Stanley Dreyfus z"l

Brooklyn 2005 with R Steve Arnold & R A Stanley Dreyfus z"l
Each year as the yahrzeit for my beloved father R Albert H Friedlander comes round, I'm reminded that, sadly, it is also the yahrzeit for my beloved teacher R A Stanley Dreyfus

During my years in Brooklyn, Stanley and Marianne were in loco parentis around the corner in Park Slope. As rabbinic students at HUC-JIR, we were often invited to their home for tea or Shabbat dinner,; to study, and to celebrate other holidays. We soon grew to appreciate Stanley's extensive textual knowledge. At my first Chanukah with the Dreyfus', there was a twinkle in Stanley's eye when he saw that I was the only one joining him in singing (what I thought were all) three verses of Maoz Tsur. I felt rather proud. He then gently recited all the other verses to us! 

Probably the most poignant memory for me was after my first serious relationship broke up. The Dreyfus' took me in, letting me stay in their guest room, caring for me as I licked my wounds. I remember particularly sitting with Stanley in his study, talking it all through together as I wept bitterly. He was an older gentleman, quite traditional in many ways. Could I have expected him to listen so lovingly as I spoke about an ex-girlfriend? Of course I could! I will never forget that kindness, all his kindness, all their kindness, for he and Marianne were a great team.

Much missed, by so many, for so many reasons.
Zichrono livracha.

Installation at Port Jewish Center, Manorhaven, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment