Sunday, March 01, 2020

Remembering 4-F

Guthrie's anti-Vietnam-War song from 1967
Growing up in London, I was lucky enough to have a father who was able to explain some of the differences between American and British English. His record collection also provided a small window into US popular culture of the 1960's, which is how I came across Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant". At one point I was able to recite the entire piece, all 18 minutes of it. Luckily for my friends, a receding memory now limits me to only a few highlights. 

It was "Alice's Restaurant" that introduced me to the concept of the draft for the Vietnam war, and how Guthrie was ultimately rated 4-F (in fact this was just for the song. It seems that his rating was 1-A, but his lottery number never came up so he did not serve). That designation came to mind many years ago when I interviewed for my first North American pulpit. After applying to c. 18 different communities across the country, the night before Matching Day one of my thesis professors called me and said I should not expect any callbacks as I was too "other" for the American rabbinate. In a moment of wry humour I designated myself 4-F for the American rabbinate, the 4 F's being: Foreign, Female, Fat & a Feigele.

Nu, last week I happened to find out what the origin of 4-F is supposed to be. I knew that with regard to its use in US military language, it was a classification given to someone not acceptable for service in the armed forces for medical or other reasons (e.g. homosexuality). I read that it goes back to the Civil War/War between the States. In order to load a rifle quickly the gun powder cartridge needed to be ripped open with one's teeth. The teeth in the back of the mouth were no good for this task, only the front teeth could be used. The rule was that one must have at least 4 front teeth with which to tear the powder packages open. 4-F.

Shavuatov.

No comments:

Post a Comment