Thursday, September 03, 2020

Reprieve for Man Buns?



The Nations League international football tournament began tonight, and football-starved fans were able to follow their national teams, albeit still only from their sofas. Italian TV showed the match between Germany and Spain live from Stuttgart, and I had a pleasant time on my sofa with a stream without commentary. Very nice. As a bona fide citizen, I rooted for my home country, but they were robbed of victory in the 96th minute by a goal that looked suspiciously offside. There seemed to be few complaints, which suggests that either the conceding team was dumbfounded by shock, or their players had a better understanding of the laws of football than I.

After it was all over, I wandered around the sports pages to see if anyone had anything to say about my offside query, and came across some photographs of the Welsh international Gareth Bale. He has sported a man bun for a while now, and I really don't go for that look. And then, I saw this:


What is most shocking to me is that he needs his roots done. Considering the amount of time he has been sitting on the bench at Real Madrid, you'd think he could pop into his local peluquero and get a top-up. Meanwhile, having seen this, I'm even more shocked to realise that I prefer the man bun. Sigh.

(Kudos to the photographer who got this shot. Please let me know their name so I may give them credit.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment