Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Pronunciation is the Key

 

Sorting through some ESL folders I came across this lovely quote which the original poster attributed to Alan Bennett

Thinking about accents, mine is an utter mishmash of place and class, with an American 'R' rolling through every language I try to speak. It usually reflects that of the last person with whom I was speaking, although it strains towards RP when I'm reading or speaking in public (which many Americans find quite impressive. I remember once, after giving a eulogy in a small town in Virginia, a friend of the mourners came up to me and remarked, "I have no idea what you said, but it sounded gorgeous!"). I also have a football accent, a fact I only discovered after being interviewed outside Loftus Road before a match and listening back on the website later that day. It was quite subconscious, but apparently I feel the need to try and sound less posh. Sadly, however many glottal stops I may insert, I don't fool anyone. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment