Tuesday, April 20, 2021

RIP Walter Mondale


Today we heard the news that Walter Mondale has died in Minneapolis at the age of 93. 

I have posted an image of this poster to recall that my first ever vote as an adult was in 1984, and I voted Mondale/Ferraro. I took that election very seriously, listening to the views of all the candidates on all the issues that were important to me. I chose these candidates, and they suffered one of the greatest losses in the history of Presidential elections. I remember seeing my father's tears after McGovern lost in 1972, but McGovern got 17 electoral votes and Mondale got 13. I think Alf Landon got 8 versus FDR in 1936, but can't find anything worse than that. 

The poster stayed on my bedroom wall at university for the rest of the year. Hey, I am a QPR fan - losing doesn't mean I stop loving you!

My thanks for your service, Vice-President Mondale, and my condolences to all who loved you. May you rest in peace.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment