Monday, July 05, 2021

Addio a Raffaella Carrà


Very sad to hear just now of the death of Raffaella Carrà today. A couple of years ago, as I prepared for my move to Italy by throwing myself into Italian popular culture, she was the first icon that I fell for. I saw her perform 'Tanti Auguri', the song in this video, live on TV, and there was something about her energy that got me. I downloaded the song onto my phone and sang along and danced and threw my head like she did to punctuate the words and I just loved her.

We will continue to be blessed by the recordings she left behind. My condolences to those who knew and loved her. May she rest in peace.

Here is a link to her appearance on the David Letterman Show.
An obituary in the Guardian.
From RAI News in Italian.
and from La Repubblica here.

PS another version of Tanti Auguri (with a stunning red outfit) may be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment