Monday, July 26, 2021

#DrawingTogether with Dr Lottie Corr

Last night there was another wonderful hour together with the Graphic Medicine community for our monthly #DrawingTogether. This time we were led by Dr Lottie Corr, and my Zoom screen was definitely too small to contain her joie de vivre and encouragement.

Our introductory prompt was to draw 4 panels. In the first two we were to draw 2 objects we could see in the room, and name them. I decided to name my fan after her Italian identity rather than an English one. The third panel was captioned "Suddenly" & the fourth "And then ..." We had 5 minutes, which is always so much shorter than I think it will be. And then, of course, we got to see what others had done and maybe share our own ideas.


For the second prompt, Dr Lottie talked a little about comics as maps, and asked us to create 6 panels that mapped where we were. She suggested that we draw objects that others might not know.

I started with my MickeyD's Batman movie mug from which I always drink my water. As usual, I made a mess of the perspective, and used up a lot of the 10 minutes trying to fix it (that is supposed to be a drop of water as the edge of the panel). Next was the panda on the sofa, and this was an interesting experience because I decided to draw quickly, without thinking about perspective, just drawing what I saw. By the time I got to the kippah, there were only a couple of  minutes left, and I wasted precious seconds wondering how others get so much done within the time allotted. 

Time for the second sharing. Usually I try to go near the beginning, so I can look at everyone else's work without worrying about what I am going to say. This time I waited to put up my hand. And then I realised ... that gave me another couple of minutes to draw (#cheater!). Hmmmmm!

If you look on FB & Insta & Twitter you may find under #DrawingTogetherGM the drawings of others present last night, and at other meetings. I love this group - for its inclusivity, for its diversity, and especially because it inspires me to put my pencil to a piece of paper and actually draw!


No comments:

Post a Comment