Sunday, November 28, 2021

A Chanukiah for Chanukah


This may have been our first Chanukah in Wembley, and this photo is evidence that we actually have used that particular chanukiah. In latter years my mother felt it was too messy and so we got into the habit of using a different one, and that was that. I don't know much else about its story, except that it was made by Leonard Baskin, and that the Lockshin family has a sibling candelabra. It is my favourite chanukiah, and I'm delighted to say it now lives with us. During the pandemic, I have to admit that it has moonlighted as a mask stand, but now the festival is upon us we may focus on its original purpose.

My father looks so happy in this photograph. He used to tell me that this is the darkest time of the year, so we bring light into the world, increasing it each night, to persuade the sun to come back. And each year, back it comes! Even if the story of the miracle of the oil turns out to be a myth, that doesn't stop us from making its essence a reality. We must bring light into the world.  Even if we don't know how long the light we've lit will last, we still must light it.

Chag Chanukah* sameach!
Happy Chanukah to all who celebrate this festival of light, and for all our festivals of light!

* my spelling of choice and upbringing. I read today that someone has counted at least 16 versions. That's apart from the original Hebrew of course.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment