Friday, November 19, 2021

Don McLean's Dreidel

 

When I was a kid, American Pie by Don McLean was my favourite song. I could sing all the words. When karaoke came to town I knew just which tune I would name for my turn. Unfortunately, American Pie is over 8 minutes long, and not in a key suited to my voice. So the first time I did karaoke with my friends, it did not go well. In fact, the MC just turned it off in the middle, and asked the next person to step forward. I was mortified. But I learned my lesson. Nowadays I will choose either Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard, or Karma Chameleon (especially good choice if I am tired or tipsy as basically you only have to sing two words!).

Nu, today on FB a friend referred to a vinyl compilation of hits from the 1970's, and on it I saw a track listing for a song by Don McLean called Dreidel. The lyrics may be found here. It is almost Chanukah, and apparently the author of Vincent also wrote a Chanukah song. Ish. If you're interested in knowing more, I offer the YouTube link of a live performance. Now it's off to find some chocolate coins with innocuous patterns on the foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment