Saturday, November 27, 2021

Golly Moses (& Gloryosky) That's Why I'm So Sad


Just heard the news that Stephen Sondheim has died. I feel sad. Others more expert than I will eulogise him. I have loved his work, and it's been with me most of my life. It first caught my ear with Gee Officer Krupke from West Side Story. For me, of course, it was mostly the words (Viz a Little Priest). Am now listening to Into the Woods, and later I think I will singalong to Side by Side by Sondheim.

When someone so eminent dies, the fans have their body of work to enjoy, as they always did. And since Sondheim was 91, there is an almost full spectrum. We are certainly sad that there will be no more, but it's not the same as knowing him.  Of course, the deepest loss is for his family and friends. My condolences to them all. 

I do, however, have one memory to share. In the days when I did theatre photocalls, I was at the Into the Woods shoot. We stood in the front rows of the stalls to take our pictures of the scenes they offered us. Then we packed up our stuff and went back out into the world. I was chatting to someone as I walked up the aisle.  We passed a chap sitting in the back, and I smiled at him. He smiled back, the most charming and brilliant smile. I can still see it in my mind. As we left the theatre my colleague said to me, "do you know who that was?!" So, I am proud to say that I exchanged smiles with Stephen Sondheim. May he rest in peace.

The Guardian obituary.
from the Daily Mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment