Wednesday, February 17, 2021

What a Wonderful Gift!


Wednesday afternoons I teach an English conversation class to a group of 20 11-year-olds as part of an after-school programme. It is tough for them - under Covid conditions, and all day in the same spot in the classroom for lesson after lesson - and then when everyone else gets to go home, they have to stay for two more hours, in the same place, and study English! 

Today was a particularly difficult day for several students, and I struggled to remain patient. Then one of the students, one who always has a tough day, usually shredding reams of paper over and around his desk, or making complex origami stars with glue and scissors, or just physically bouncing up and down in his defined space, handed me the drawing he had been doing. You can see it above - his view of me during class (he said doing the trousers was really difficult).

What a fantastic drawing - I love it! And what a way to melt my heart and diffuse the frustration that had built up during the class. What a wonderful gift!


No comments:

Post a Comment