Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Yom HaBlintz!


It's Pancake Day today! In the Xian religion it is known as Shrove Tuesday, and here in Italy it is Fat Tuesday (or Carnevale). Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent begins, a period of self-examination for the purpose of spiritual growth that leads up to Easter. This period is often marked by fasting, and "Fat Tuesday" is thus the last day of eating rich food. 

Clearly I am not following a religious tradition (although any chance to become more self-aware and make teshuvah for my mistakes is always welcome), but I am following a cultural tradition and a family one too.

Growing up in the UK, Pancake Day was such a part of the general culture that they made TV commercials about it (the traditional flavouring was lemon juice, so the JIF lemon juice company had a slogan - don't forget the pancakes on JIF Lemon Day!). And it was a tradition that my late mother loved to follow. She made the lightest crepes, and for the last decade of her life the two of us always celebrated together. Last year was the first Pancake Day without her, and so I learned to make them myself. One year later, I think I will have another go, and remember the sweetness of her pancakes, and of our times together at the kitchen table.



1 comment:

  1. As an insider, I can say they were delicious! And it has become a meaningful tradition for me as well!

    ReplyDelete