Tuesday, June 02, 2020

A Rare Cricketing Moment

Photo: Ariel J Friedlander

Some of you, I know, enjoy watching cricket. Not most of you, but I know some people who do. For those of you who claim it is difficult to understand, there's a famous sort-of-explanation of the rules, which makes baseball look simple IMO:

The Rules of Cricket:
* you have two sides, one out in the field, and one in.
* each player in the side that is in, goes out; and when they are out, they come in and the next player goes in until they are out.
* when they are all out, the side that is out comes in, and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those who are coming in out.
* when both sides have been in and out, that is the end of the game.

The author of that is anonymous, which is a good thing. meanwhile, back to my photograph. I think it is a rare cricketing moment because Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards is one of the greatest batsmen in the history of the sport and, I think, rarely clean bowled. So I am rather pleased to have taken a picture of him having been clean bowled. If you look carefully, you can see a flying bail just above Graham Gooch's head.

I looked up the details and I record them here for my statto persona:

2nd Test Match
England v. West Indies
at Lords Cricket Ground, 16th June 1988
2nd innings
IVA Richards (c)  b. Pringle         72
(W. Indies won by 134 runs)

No comments:

Post a Comment