Tuesday, July 28, 2020

DrawingTogetherGM 14: Listening and Hearing

I thought I was maybe a bit too excited to return to the Graphic Medicine drawing group after a whole month without prompts and exercises and sharing - it was good to see that I was not the only one who felt glad to be together again.

And then ... disaster struck. Our task was to draw a comic, in 10 minutes, about a conversation where somebody hadn't been listened to. Or maybe had been heard. I wasn't sure. I thought I was listening to Shelley, but somehow I couldn't understand what she wanted us to do. My thoughts were made of molasses.

We only had 10 minutes. I didn't know what to draw. I needed a story, and had bubkes. And that made me crazy. When do I never have a story? I can think of a story for any occasion. Or adapt something so it just about fits the occasion. My head hurt.

But I really do want to draw. So I came up with a compromise and, in the time that I had left, drew what I've just taken 134 words to tell you all:


Sigh. But I drew something. And very much enjoyed seeing all the other interpretations that people shared at the meeting. 

At the end, as people were leaving, someone asked if there might be any chance that we could go back to the weekly meetings. There wasn't a complete refusal. Hurrah! 

PS  we do not share other people's drawing without permission, but I think it is ok to mention a thought shared by one of the artists present. In preparation for the warm-up exercise, we were talking about listening to the soundscape around us in the room. Someone alerted us to the sounds of everyday that we do not notice, giving examples such as breathing, clocks, one's stomach and our hearts. When we listen, what do we hear? 

I do remember that Shelley began the session by talking about the speech bubbles (and thought bubbles) traditionally used in cartoons, and suggested that all the space outside them was listening space. Often, my problem is that I am so busy working on what I will say in response to the current speaker that I do not listen properly. I really should be quiet in the listening space. (I need to work on this). 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment