Wednesday, July 08, 2020

How Many Rabbis Do You See in this Photo?



In March 1965, Dr Martin Luther King Jr and other US Civil Rights leaders marched in protest from Selma to Montgomery. On this particular march, they wore Hawaiian leis (for the story behind that, have a look here). I'm sharing this photo today to mark the yahrzeit of my darling father, Rabbi Albert H Friedlander.

I've mentioned elsewhere that we grew up with the story that when he brought his students from Columbia University to join the march, he spent some time with Dr King. We kind of found that part, that they had a chat and shared a sandwich during a lunch break, a bit hard to swallow. Some years after our father died, my sister found a photo from the march that appeared to show the top part of his head within arm's length of Dr King. Anyone who knew him knew it was him, but only half of his face was visible. I recently found this second photo that definitively proves he was up at the front of the march (4th row, in the middle, wearing a kippah, under the red X I added to help you find him). We were wrong to doubt him, and I am very sorry. 

As we remember him today, considering what is going on in the world at the moment, I am proud that he was part of this fight during his life. But that was then, and this is now. According to our tradition, we wish that someone's memory will be a blessing. 16 years after my father's death, he continues to remind us of what we ourselves should be doing. I do wish he were here now to help us continue the work that must be done. However, he isn't, and it is my turn. 


(btw, I can see two)

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you long life.
    יהי זכרו ברוך

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you long life
    and I am sure Albert would approve
    COYR's

    ReplyDelete