Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Louie Bellson's Drumsticks

Hands up if you've heard of Louie Bellson. Anybody? I think it may be a generational thing. He was the drummer of 'Skin Deep', considered by most aficionados to be the greatest recorded drum solo in history, supplanting Gene Krupa in 'Sing Sing Sing' (but not for me. Or Emily). He played with Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington ... hey, read his obit here.

I admit I had not hear of 'Skin Deep' until a few minutes ago. However, the pair of Louie Bellson drumsticks pictured above are mine. I have always wanted to learn drums, and still have time to begin. After all, I have the drumsticks. They used to belong to the father of ravaj. He was given them by a grateful student. Her name was Pearl Bailey. She was married to Louie Bellson. I am sure one could not walk around their house without falling over packets of his drumsticks, so he probably never touched them. But you never know ..... RIP Louie Bellson.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:18 am

    ? i thought chopsticks,
    but anyhow looks something differ,

    have a great day ravaj!

    ReplyDelete