Tuesday, June 05, 2007

rutka laskier's diary

reports are coming in of the discovery of the diary of a 14-year-old polish girl called rutka laskier. it was written in early 1943 in the bedzin ghetto, and is being touted as the story of the 'polish anne frank'.

yahoo offers the associated press story here.

"I simply can't believe that one day I will be allowed to leave this house without the yellow star. Or even that this war will end one day. If this happens I will probably lose my mind from joy," she wrote on Feb. 5, 1943. "The little faith I used to have has been completely shattered. If God existed, He would have certainly not permitted that human beings be thrown alive into furnaces, and the heads of little toddlers be smashed with gun butts or shoved into sacks and gassed to death."

No comments:

Post a Comment